Wednesday, April 13, 2011

My Learning Styles

I took three different learning style tests to see which learning style fits me. Here are the results:

Self: You have a very good sense of self. You like to spend time by yourself and think things over. You will often take in
information from another person, mull it over by yourself, and come back to that person later to discuss it. You like working on projects on your own. You often prefer to learn by trial and error. Effective techniques to enhance your learning include keeping a journal and giving yourself time to reflect on new ideas and information. More ideas: Go on "guided imagery" tours. Set aside time to reflect on new ideas and information. Encourage journal writing. Work on the computer. Practice breathing for relaxation. Use brainstorming methods before reading. Listen to and read "how to" tapes and books. Read cookbooks.

You learn best when physically engaged in a "hands on" activity. In the classroom, you benefit from a
lab setting where you can manipulate materials to learn new information. You learn best when you
can be physically active in the learning environment. You benefit from instructors who encourage
in-class demonstrations, "hands on" student learning experiences, and field work outside the
classroom.
-------------------------------------------

My results say that I learn better when I do "hands on" activities and working alone. I do feel that learning through hands on is better for me because I can easily lose interest in a lesson when I have to listen to a lecture or write meaningless things down. If I want to understand something I have to do it. I can't just imagine it, I have to see it and feel it myself. I often do like to learn things on my own or by myself, although I often think a bit too much and need to discuss it with someone.

I did do hands on activities when I took science courses during the first three years of high school. The first two years I learned a lot because we used a program on the computer where I was able to see what was happening and have control over it with my laptop. I loved having labs that including getting up and doing experiments. But in junior year, I mostly had to take notes and re-read power points, but it was pointless and I didn't learn and ended up getting a bad grade. Math was hard too because numbers don't make sense to me and the results of most of my tests explained that math logic was my weakest point in learning.

In psychology we did an activity where I had a partner and she was blind folded. We both had to work together to tie a shoe. While she was blind folded, I was the only one who could speak. We tied one hand behind our backs and got to work. This helped me learn the difference between the left and right hemisphere of the human brain. We also did an activity where my teacher gave us some powder in a cup. While reading us a story, every time he said the character's name, we had to dip our finger in the powder and lick it. After the lesson I learned how classical conditioning worked on humans and if we didn't do that hands on activity first, I don't think I would had been able to grasp the concept.

I do believe the tests were accurate because it really describe my learning style. I was extremely surprised to see how accurate it really was, though I will admit I do not believe it is 100% accurate, but maybe more like 90% accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment